Thursday, January 26, 2012

Are you an athlete?

I pulled the following definition from the Merriam-Webster on-line dictionary.

Definition of ATHLETE

: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina.

I have been called an athlete by random people in my life but I have never really thought about it.


This blog post by Katherine Tarbox really got me thinking .

I agree with Miss Tarbox.  Anyone can accomplish any athletic feat they want to, it is about desire and not making up excuses.  I ran a marathon and have completed a triathlon.  But yet still have not considered myself an athlete, but I believe I need to stop under-playing my activities.  
What are the reasons I personally work out?

  • Keep weight off
  • Stress Relief
  • Stay healthy
  • I genuinely enjoy it
  • I like to help motivate others
  • It's an accomplishment to finish a race or meet a goal
  • Self satisfaction


Working out is a part of my life, I teach classes at the Y and the gym at my day job, so if I stop working out how can I motivate others or expect people to come to my classes?  I'm reminded during the times when I physically am not able to work out how much it is a part of who I am.  When my workout routine is messed up my demeanor changes.  But it is more than that.  I am an athlete.  I may not desire to be competitive with other athletes all the time, but I do participate in races, I make goals and do my best to achieve them.  By stepping out the door to run, bike, or swim regularly just might classify a person as an athlete.  What makes you feel like you are not an athlete?  What is your hurdle to getting out the door and taking the first steps to becoming an athlete, whether it is a weekend athlete, a YMCA athlete, or a stress-relieving fun-seeking athlete?  Do your body and your mind a favor and get moving.



No comments:

Post a Comment